Shoremen Sweep Bethany in Double-Header
FORT PIERCE, Fla. — Junior Nick Roberti pitched the first no-hitter for the Washington College baseball team in six years in the second game of the Shoremen's double-header sweep of Bethany (W.Va.) College today in Fort Pierce, Fla. After the Shoremen held off the Bison, 5-4, in the opener, Roberti tossed his gem in a 13-0 game-two victory.
Washington College 5, Bethany 4 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- A two-run single by CJ Gillmer in the bottom of the second inning put the Shoremen on the board. Ryan Donnelly followed with a two-run single of his own later in the inning to double the lead at 4-0.
- John Lee tripled in a run in the top of the third to give the Bison their first run. He then scored on an error to cut the deficit to 4-2. Tyler Frazee drove in a run with a ground-out in the top of the sixth to get the Bison to within a run at 4-3.
- Joe Lozupone drove in the Shoremen's fifth run with a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the sixth. Nate Marko drove in a run for Bethany with a groundout in the top of the seventh, but Nick Popolizio then retired the final batter for his fourth save of the season.
For the Shoremen (11-3)
- Hitting: Lozupone (2-for-3, run, RBI); Gavin O'Donnell (2-for-3, run); Donnelly (hit, 2 RBI); Gillmer (hit, 2 RBI, run); Zwier (double, run)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (win, 6.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, 4 strikeouts); Popolizio (save, 0.2 innings)
For Bethany (2-7)
- Hitting: Lee (triple, RBI, run); Marko (hit, RBI, run); Kelaen Welch (triple, run)
- Pitching: Isaac Wengert (loss, 6 innings, 9 hits, 5 runs, 4 strikeouts)
- Mikulus improved to 3-0 this season with his win. Popolizio has allowed just one unearned run and no earned runs in seven relief appearances this season.
Washington College 13, Bethany 0 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Roberti faced just three batters over the minimum in his seven-inning no-no. He struck out four batters and walked none.
- Ryan Zwier drove in a run with a double in the top of the fourth for a 1-0 Shoremen lead. Jay Felts then drove in Zwier with an RBI single to make it 2-0. A sacrifice fly by Matt Tancredi later in the inning provided the Shoremen's third run.
- An RBI triple by Donnelly and an RBI single by Aaron Barclay in the top of the fifth increased the lead to 5-0. Chris Kramedas drove in the sixth run with an RBI single in the top of the sixth.
- The Shoremen then scored seven runs in the top of the seventh. Tancredi hit a two-run single for an 8-0 lead and Gillmer drove in a pair of runs with a single later in the inning to make the score 10-0. A bases-loaded walk drawn by Chris Bauers provided the 11th run, a sacrifice fly by Jack Kingman the 12th, and an RBI single by Nick Brauer the 13th.
For the Shoremen (12-3)
- Hitting: Gillmer (3-for-4, 2 runs, 2 RBI); Donnelly (2-for-4, triple, run, RBI); Barclay (hit, 2 walks, 2 runs, RBI); Tancredi (hit, run, 3 RBI); Zweir (double, run, RBI)
- Pitching: Roberti (win, 7 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 4 strikeouts)
- The Shoremen allowed the only three Bethany baserunners via errors.
For Bethany (2-8)
- Hitting: none
- Pitching: Frazee (loss, 4.1 innings, 6 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 walks); Tim Reinhard (2 innings, 5 hits, 7 runs, 4 walks); Ken Ryan (1 run, 2 walks); Joey Hess (0.2 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
- Roberti's no-hitter was the Shoremen's first since Shane Mattingly and Matt Christopher combined for a seven-inning no-hitter in a 6-0 win over CCNY in the first game of a double-header on March 4th, 2012.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/17 v. Kenyon (2) (at Fort Pierce, Fla.) - 10:00 a.m.