WAYNE, N.J. – William Paterson (2-0) three times fought back from a deficit, using a two-run homer by sophomore catcher Steve Yelin to help secure a 10-8 baseball victory against visiting Widener (1-2) Feb. 24.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore right fielder Danny Carter flared a single to shallow center and junior designated hitter Vin Dorio drilled a double over the left fielder's head, handing the Pioneers a 1-0 edge during the home half of the second.
- A two-out error, walk, double steal and throwing error allowed the Pride to knot the score at 1-1 in the third.
- WP surged ahead with a two-run fourth thanks to a leadoff Carlos Perez double, Carter RBI-single and Carson Weis sacrifice fly.
- A three-run homer lifted Widener to a 4-3 advantage in the fifth, but the Pioneers pushed across the tying run during the bottom of the same frame when Yelin doubled in junior shortstop Dan Abate.
- Two infield hits, an RBI-single through the right side and a sac fly made it a 6-4 Pride lead during the top of the sixth inning. Dorio touched home on a Steven DiGirolamo grounder and sophomore third baseman Greg Cuevas scampered home on a wild pitch for a 6-6 game after six.
- A passed ball nudged Widener ahead, 7-6 in the seventh, but Abate singled home both Cuevas and Carter with two outs during the home half of the inning for an 8-7 edge.
- DiGirolamo opened the bottom of the eighth with a single up the middle and reached third when junior second baseman Matt Ferrara sacrificed. Yelin then hit a no-doubt bomb over the fence in left center, adding two insurance runs to make it a 10-7 lead.
- A walk, sacrifice and two-out error allowed Widener to plate a run during its final at-bat, but a fly ball to defensive replacement Frankie Deane in left ended the Pride's comeback hopes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Last season's closer, junior Eric Rosenberg earned the win by allowing just one unearned run over the final 2.2 innings, scattering a hit and a walk while striking out three (1-0).
- Carter finished 3-for-4 at the plate with an RBI and three runs scored.
- Yelin went 2-for-4, driving in three runs with a homer and double.
- Abate was 2-for-3 while adding a double, two RBI and a run scored.
- WP crossed home 10 times for the second straight day after registering a 10-3 season-opening victory Feb. 23 against Stevens.
- William Paterson plays its first road game of the season Wednesday, Feb. 27, at Drew at 2:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: