KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The William Paterson baseball team (4-1) allowed two final-inning runs to drop the opener to Washington and Jefferson (3-1), 8-7, but salvaged a split with a 5-3 game-two win March 10 during a seven-inning doubleheader at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Presidents raced out to a 6-0 advantage by the middle of the second inning before WP crossed the plate four times during the home half of the third, using a Greg Cuevas single, Dan Abate triple, Steven DiGirolamo and Matt Ferrara base hits, Steve Yelin double and Vin Dorio RBI-groundout.
- The Pioneers touched home three times for a 7-6 lead after five. Ferrara doubled to right center, sophomore right fielder Danny Carter had a two-out RBI-single, Dorio singled to center field, junior left fielder Carlos Perez reached on an error and sophomore first baseman Carson Weis delivered a two-run base hit up the middle.
- Washington and Jefferson used a single, walk, sacrifice and error, and two more errors to seize an 8-7 edge during the top of the seventh.
- William Paterson had the tying run on third with two outs during the home half of the seventh, but a strikeout ended the comeback bid.
- A Weis single and two hit by pitches loaded the bases for Abate, who drilled a ground ball through the right side for a 2-0 Pioneer advantage during the top of the second inning.
- Both teams crossed the plate once during the fifth frame. Yelin tripled to right field with two outs and Carter followed with a run-scoring single through the right side, while the Presidents got on the board with a base hit and single.
- Wash & Jeff made it a 3-2 game in the sixth with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly.
- WP manufactured a pair of two-out runs in the seventh, taking advantage of a balk and two-run Weis base hit to right field.
- A bases loaded walk pushed across one President run with two outs during the home half of the seventh, but freshman Jake Klag registered a final strikeout for his first save.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ferrara went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored, while Weis finished 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI.
- Senior Eric Rosenberg suffered his first loss (1-1), giving up one unearned run while striking out two and walking one during 1.0 inning on the hill.
- Weis had two hits, a run scored and a pair of RBI, while Yelin was 2-for-4 with a triple and run scored.
- Senior starter Corey Martinez struck out a career-high 11, allowing three runs on four hits and two walks during 6.0 innings of work (1-0).
- William Paterson will play a seven-inning doubleheader against Pitt-Greensburg Tuesday, March 12, at 2:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: