AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The William Paterson baseball team (6-2) saw its three-game win streak snapped by an 11-3 loss to Salve Regina (4-4) March 13 at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Seahawks seized a 2-0 lead during the top of the first inning, but a Dan Abate triple to center and a Greg Cuevas sacrifice fly got one run back for the Pioneers in the third.
- Salve Regina tacked one two more in the fourth with an RBI-double and sac fly, and a solo home run during the top of the sixth inning made it a 5-1 score.
- A double and triple resulted in two more Seahawk runs in the seventh.
- Back-to-back solo homers by senior pinch hitter Shane Adams and junior third baseman Dan Abate cut the lead to 7-3 during the home half of the seventh.
- Salve Regina used four hits and an error for a four-run eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo was 3-for-5 at the plate, and Abate was 2-for-4 with a homer and two runs scored.
- Freshman starter Jake Klag took the loss (0-1), surrendering four runs on four hits and five walks, striking out three over 5.0 innings of work.
- William Paterson will play a seven-inning doubleheader against Lesley Friday, March 15, at 10:30 a.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: