Lucky 13: Shoremen Nine Cap 10-0 Florida with Twinbill Sweep Trip to Push Their Mark to 13-0
Washington Sweeps Cairn, 5-4 and 6-4
FORT PIERCE, Fla. – The Washington College baseball team completed a perfect 10-0 trip to Florida with a doubleheader sweep of Cairn on Saturday at Lawnwood Complex. The Shoremen walked-off the Highlanders in game one, 5-4, and held off a rally by Cairn in game two to come away with a 6-4 win. The Shoremen are now 13-0 overall and have now set a record for consecutive wins during a single-season. The Highlanders fall to 4-7.
Washington College 5 Cairn 4 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- The Highlanders open the scoring with a two-run top of the first inning when Emilio Alvarez socked a two-run double that scored both Brett Marks and Nathan Wilson.
- Washington tied the game in the bottom of the second after the first two hitters were retired. Joe Otto scored on a double to left-center by Tommy Buckman to trim it to 2-1 and Buckman scored on an error by Cairn to knot the contest.
- Buckman put the Shoremen ahead in the bottom of the fourth on a one-out base hit to right-center to drive in Dylan Nepert at 3-2 and Otto scored on a squeeze bunt by CJ Gillmer to push the lead to 4-2.
- After Cairn had its first two hitters get out in the top of the fifth, Brian Amantia Jr. singled through the right side to plate Daniel Morales to cut the deficit to 4-3.
- Cairn leveled the contest on a two-out infield single to shortstop by Alejandro Fernandez that drove in Caleb Edman in the top of the sixth.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Max Hammond lead off the frame with double to right and was pinch ran for by TC Conrad. Following two intentional walks, Nepert hit a grounder and the throw home to force Conrad went awry and Conrad scored the walk-off run for the victory.
For The Shoremen (12-0)
- Hitting: Ben Ruvo and Ryan Zwier (3-for-4), Buckman (2-for-2, two RBI, run), Otto (two runs)
- Pitching: Ryan Mostoller (win 1-0, 2 1/3 innings, two hits, one run, zero earned, one walk, six strikeouts), Billy Benson (4 2/3 innings, five hits, three runs, three earned, two walks, four strikeouts)
- Washington had 12 hits, drew three walks and had two reach via hit by pitch while leaving four on base.
- The Shoremen had no errors in the game.
For Cairn (4-6)
- Hitting: Marks (2-for-3, run), Alvarez (two RBI)
- Pitching: Daniel Morales (loss 0-2, one-plus innings, four hits, one run, zero earned, one walk, zero strikeouts), Sam Draile (five innings, eight hits, four runs, three earned, two walks, two strikeouts)
- The Highlanders notched seven hits and drew three base on balls as they left five on base.
- Cairn had two errors in the contest, leading to two Washington runs.
- Washington won its second 5-4 game of the week as they downed Marywood in the opener of the twinbill on Monday.
Washington College 6 Cairn 4 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored an unearned run in the top of the second inning on a one-out sacrifice fly by Ryan Colbert that scored Barclay.
- Washington pushed its lead to four runs with a three-run top of the fifth. Colbert scored on an error by Cairn to make it 2-0 with nobody out. With two outs, Aaron Deutsch scored on a triple by Joe Ottoand Otto came home on the next batter, Zwier.
- The Highlanders got onto the board in the bottom of the sixth when Joshua Melchoir scored on a base hit to right-center by Wilson with two away.
- In the seventh inning, Washington scored twice in the top half of the inning to extend the lead to 6-1. Zwier tripled home Otto and Gillmer with nobody out on a three-bagger to center. In Cairn's half of the seventh, the Highlanders scored three times and had the tying run at the plate when the game ended. Cairn trimmed it to 6-2 on an RBI single to shortstop by Trey Valiton that scored Michael Solowice with one away. Valiton trimmed the lead to 6-3 when he scored on a groundout off the bat of Melchoir. With two away, Marks singled home Morales on a hit to left and that brought up Alvarez as the tying run. WC pitcher Alex Bendzlowicz fell behind 3-0 before striking out Alvarez swinging to end the game.
For The Shoremen (13-0)
- Hitting: Zwier (2-for-4, three RBI), Otto (2-for-4, two runs)
- Pitching: Matt Furlong (win 1-0, six innings, four hits, one run, one earned, one walk, three strikeouts)
- Washington had 10 hits and worked out two free passes, while leaving six on base.
- The Shoremen had two errors in the contest, but did not lead to a run.
For Cairn (4-7)
- Hitting: Morales (2-for-4, run), Marks (2-for-3, RBI)
- Pitching: Carson Conradt (loss 1-2, eight hits, four runs, zero earned, zero walks, four strikeouts)
- The Highlanders notched seven hits and earned a pair of walks as they left six on base.
- Cairn tallied three errors in game two, leading to four Washington runs.
- Including the 13-10 win in game two of the season finale doubleheader at Ursinus, Washington has won 14 straight games overall. The overall record for consecutive victories by the Shoremen Nine is 17, set twice from 1896-98 and 1938-39. That includes a perfect 12-0 mark in 1897.
- Prior to today, the longest winning streak in a single-season for Washington was 12 and that was done three times in 1897, 1937 and 2012. The program now has six single-season winning streaks of 10 or more.
- In two years at Fort Pierce, Florida, the Shoremen are 19-1.
3/19 v. Lancaster Bible – 3:30 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- Game was originally slated for March 4, but was postponed due to weather.
- Home opener for Washington.