WAYNE, N.J. – The William Paterson baseball team (10-3) never trailed, cruising to a 9-4 victory March 20 against visiting Manhattanville (4-6).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Pioneers used a Danny Carter double down the left-field line, Dan Abate walk, Christopher Liriano two-run triple to left center and a Mike Grasso sacrifice fly to left field for a 3-0 advantage after two innings.
- After the Valiants scored an unearned run in the third, Abate singled in junior second baseman Matt Ferrara and sophomore first baseman Carson Weis for a 5-1 edge during the home half of the same frame.
- WP added three more runs during the fourth, thanks to a two-run Steve Yelin base hit to right field and a Weis RBI-single to left.
- Manhattanville touched home once in the fifth and twice in the sixth, making it an 8-4 score.
- Doubles by sophomore shortstop Greg Cuevas and sophomore left fielder Frankie Deane produced the game's final run during the bottom of the seventh inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ferrara went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
- Yelin, Grasso, Deane and sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo each contributed a pair of hits. Liriano and Yelin produced two RBI apiece.
- In all, 10 different Pioneers had a hit against the Valiants.
- Senior starter Doug Olcese (1-0) allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits, posting two strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Freshman Jake Klag and seniors Corey Martinez and Eric Rosenberg each pitched 1.0 shutout inning of relief.
- William Paterson will play a seven/nine doubleheader at Franklin and Marshall Saturday, March 23, at 12:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: