UNION, N.J. – The William Paterson baseball team (15-7, 2-3 NJAC) bounced back from a 4-2 loss for a 9-6 game-two win at Kean (16-9, 3-2 NJAC) April 6.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Pioneers struck first when sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo was hit by a pitch and junior designated hitter Dan Abate and sophomore catcher Steve Yelin laced back-to-back singles, making it a 1-0 score during the top of the first inning.
- The Cougars crossed the plate twice in the first and two more times in the second to build a 4-1 advantage.
- Base hits by sophomore shortstop Greg Cuevas and DiGirolamo were followed by an Abate RBI-single through the right side, cutting the margin to 4-2 during the top half of the eighth.
- Junior right fielder Carlos Perez delivered a bases-loaded, two-out double to center field, handing WP a 3-0 lead in the top of the second inning.
- Kean's two-run homer during the home half of the second made it a 3-2 score.
- An Abate double, Vin Dorio base hit, Mike Grasso hit by pitch, error and Matt Ferrara RBI-single pushed the lead to 6-2 in the third.
- After the Cougars got two runs back during the home half of the fourth, a fielder's choice in the fifth and a Dorio run-scoring single in the sixth made it an 8-4 margin.
- A two-run triple cut the lead to 8-6 after six innings, but a DiGirolamo triple and error added a Pioneer insurance run during the top of the eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Abate was 2-for-4 at the plate with an RBI. Yelin added an RBI-single.
- Senior starter Chris Babb gave up four runs, six hits and five walks, registering four strikeouts in 5.0 innings (1-2). Freshman Matt Lawler tossed 3.0 shutout innings of relief, striking out two.
- WP caught four Kean base runners stealing.
- Dorio finished 2-for-4 with two RBI and a pair of runs scored. Perez hit a two-RBI double, and Abate had a pair of doubles and two runs scored.
- Senior Corey Martinez improved to 4-0 with 7.0 innings of six-run ball (four earned), scattering eight hits and two walks while punching out three. Classmate Eric Rosenberg picked up his third save of the season, allowing three hits during 2.0 scoreless innings while striking out three. He now is tied for fifth on the WP career saves chart (eight).
- William Paterson hosts Ramapo Monday, April 8, at 3:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: