WAYNE, N.J. – William Paterson (15-8, 2-4 NJAC) had late opportunities to tie the score, but the Pioneers could not cash in during a 3-2 baseball loss to visiting Ramapo (12-9, 4-2 NJAC) April 8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A leadoff Steven DiGirolamo single, Dan Abate fielder's choice and Steve Yelin double over the right fielder's head allowed WP to seize a 1-0 lead during the home half of the first inning.
- A solo homer to right-center field and a pair of RBI-singles gave the Roadrunners a 3-1 edge in the seventh.
- WP got one run back during the home half of the seventh when junior catcher Mike Grasso drew a leadoff walk, advanced to second on a Matt Ferrara groundout and scored thanks to DiGirolamo's two-out base hit into left center.
- The Pioneers had the bases loaded with one out in the eighth, but a strikeout and groundout kept the tying run at third base. In the ninth, WP advanced a runner to third with two outs before a groundout ended the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- DiGirolamo finished 2-for-4 and drove in a run. Yelin also went 2-for-4.
- Sophomore Jordan Manne was charged with three runs allowed, eight hits and two walks over 6.1 innings, posting two strikeouts (2-1).
- William Paterson plays its second straight home game Tuesday, April 9, when the Pioneers face U.S. Merchant Marine at 3:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: