WAYNE, N.J. – The William Paterson baseball team (18-10, 5-5 NJAC) was just six defensive outs away from sweeping No. 5/8 Rowan (21-6, 8-2 NJAC), instead settling for an 8-10 and 11-6 split April 13.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Profs used five hits to produce two runs during the top of the first inning, but WP responded with a Matt Ferrara double, Carson Weis single, two walks and an error to tie the game at 2-2 during its first at-bat.
- Rowan added two more in the second before Weis singled in sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo for a 4-3 margin after two innings.
- After the Profs tacked on a single score during the top half of the third frame, junior third baseman Carlos Perez launched a solo homer to left and sophomore left fielder Frankie Deane doubled down the right-field line, was sacrificed to third and scored on a wild pitch, knotting the score at 5-5 after three.
- WP seized a 6-5 fifth-inning lead when Deane singled through the right side and sophomore shortstop Greg Cuevas tripled off the right-field wall.
- Rowan tied the game with a home run to lead off the top of the sixth before the Pioneers put together singles by DiGirolamo and Weis, and an RBI-double to left by sophomore catcher Steve Yelin, for a 7-6 edge during the home half of the same frame.
- Deane opened the bottom of the seventh with a triple down the left-field line and promptly touched home after a wild pitch, tacking one run on to the lead, 8-6.
- The Profs knotted the score at 8-8 with a two-run homer in the eighth, then hit another two-run home run during the top of the ninth inning for a 10-8 advantage.
- Rowan used a three-run homer to strike during its first at-bat, but WP got one run back in the home half of the first with a Vin Dorio RBI-single to left.
- The Profs stretched their advantage to 6-1 in the second before the Pioneers crossed the plate three times in the fourth with a Deane double, Perez run-scoring single, Cuevas RBI-groundout and error.
- William Paterson took a 9-6 lead with a five-run fifth. A Deane infield single, Perez walk and Cuevas hit by pitch loaded the bases with one out, and a Danny Carter base on balls and wild pitch tied the game at 6-6. After DiGirolamo was hit by a pitch, Ferrara lifted a sac fly to left, Weis singled in Carter and Dorio drew a bases-loaded walk.
- A Perez walk and back-to-back doubles off the bats of DiGirolamo and Ferrara pushed the Pioneer advantage to 11-6 after six innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Weis finished 4-for-5, driving in a run and scoring once. Deane went 3-for-5 with a double, triple and three runs scored.
- Senior Doug Olcese suffered the loss in relief, giving up two runs on three hits and a walk over the final 1.1 innings (1-1).
- DiGirolamo and Deane both were 3-for-5 while scoring twice. Ferrara drove in three baserunners and Perez touched home three times.
- Sophomore Jordan Manne (3-1) struck out two and walked three over his 5.1 innings, giving up six runs on seven hits. Freshman Matt Lawler spun 3.2 scoreless innings of relief for his second save, scattering two hits while punching out three.
- William Paterson goes to Scranton Tuesday, April 16, at 5:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: