SCRANTON, Pa. – The William Paterson baseball team (19-10) jumped out to a six-run lead by the second inning and never looked back, cruising to a 10-1 triumph at Scranton (10-15) April 16.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Pioneers jumped out to a 4-0 first-inning lead with an RBI-double from sophomore right fielder Carson Weis, a run-scoring groundout from junior first baseman Vin Dorio, an RBI-single from sophomore left fielder Frankie Deane and a run-scoring double from junior third baseman Carlos Perez.
- WP tacked on two more in the second when Weis tripled in junior second baseman Matt Ferrara and Dorio plated Weis with a sacrifice fly.
- After the Royals posted a single run during the home half of the second, William Paterson touched home twice on a sixth-inning error, making it an 8-1 advantage.
- Sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo contributed a sac fly in the top of the seventh inning, and sophomore shortstop Greg Cuevas did the same in the eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- DiGirolamo, Ferrara, Weis, Deane and Perez each tallied a pair of hits. Weis and Dorio both drove in two runs, and both of Perez's hits were doubles.
- Senior Jeff Lombardi, Jr. went 8.0 innings, allowing one run on six hits while striking out three (1-0). Classmate Ryan Tomao scattered two hits during the ninth inning.
- William Paterson hosts Rutgers-Newark Thursday, April 18, at 3:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: