WAYNE, N.J. – The William Paterson baseball team (20-13, 6-8 NJAC) couldn't overcome visiting No. 7/3 The College of New Jersey (25-5, 11-3 NJAC) April 20, dropping 19-7 and 7-0 decisions to the Lions.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A single, two walks and a hit by pitch allowed the Lions to cross the plate once during the top of the first inning.
- A two-run homer to left helped TCNJ add five more to its lead in the third.
- Three runs in the fourth and three more in the fifth pushed it to a 12-0 Lion advantage, and a two-run single during the top of the sixth inning made it a 14-0 score.
- A two-run ground-rule double helped TCNJ produce a three-run seventh inning.
- A Christopher Liriano single to left, a Danny Carter double to left field and a Steven DiGirolamo double to right netted the Pioneers a pair of eighth-inning runs.
- WP crossed the plate five times during the home half of the ninth via a two-run base hit by freshman designated hitter Mike Medvetz, a Carter sacrifice fly and a DiGirolamo infield RBI-single.
- TCNJ strung together two walks and a pair of hits for a 2-0 advantage during its first at-bat.
- Two hits, including an RBI-double, and a sacrifice fly made it a 4-0 Lion lead in the third.
- The margin grew to 6-0 during the top half of the fourth inning, thanks to a two-run double to right-center field.
- A triple and single tacked on one TCNJ run during its final at-bat.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- DiGirolamo finished 3-for-6 with a double and three RBI, while Liriano, Carter and sophomore left fielder Carson Weis each contributed a pair of hits.
- Senior Chris Babb was charged with six runs allowed, three hits and five walks during the first 2.2 innings, striking out a pair (1-3).
- DiGirolamo led the offense with a 2-for-4 effort, including a double.
- Freshman Jake Klag gave up six hits, three walks and four runs during the game's first 2.2 innings, registering a pair of strikeouts (1-3).
- William Paterson hosts Farmingdale State Tuesday, April 23, at 3:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: