WAYNE, N.J. – Looking to strengthen its postseason positioning, the William Paterson baseball team (22-13, 7-8 NJAC) secured a 9-2 Senior Day victory against Montclair State (11-23, 2-13 NJAC) April 25.
With three regular-season games remaining, the Pioneers are sixth in the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) standings. The top six teams will qualify for the double-elimination NJAC Tournament that begins Tuesday, April 30.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WP got off to a fast start, crossing home plate five times during its first at-bat. Sophomore center fielder Steven DiGirolamo opened with a triple to left and junior second baseman Matt Ferrara followed with a double to left center before a groundout, Steve Yelin single and fielder's choice left runners on first and second with two outs. Senior designated hitter Shane Adams drilled a two-run double to right center for a 3-0 edge, and junior third baseman Carlos Perez added a two-run homer to left, making it a 5-0 margin.
- Base hits by sophomore first baseman Carson Weis and Yelin, as well as a Danny Carter hit by pitch, loaded the bases for Adams during the home half of the second, and his base hit to center field added two more runs to the Pioneers' lead.
- Carter's solo shot made it an 8-0 game in the fourth, and sophomore left fielder Frankie Deane singled in sophomore shortstop Greg Cuevas for a 9-0 advantage in the fifth.
- Two walks and a double allowed the Red Hawks to get on the scoreboard in the top of the ninth inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Adams finished 3-for-5 with a double, run scored and four RBI. Cuevas went 3-for-3 while adding a double and run scored, and Yelin was 3-for-4 and touched home twice.
- Senior Corey Martinez pitched 6.0 scoreless innings of five-hit ball, striking out three and walking four (6-0). Classmate Chris Babb had two strikeouts and a base on balls during his 1.0 inning of relief, and junior Jack DeFouw struck out one of the three batters he faced during a perfect eighth. Senior Ryan Tomao was charged with two runs, a hit and a pair of bases on balls during the ninth inning.
- Prior to the game, WP honored its seven seniors – Adams, Babb, Jeff Lombardi Jr., Martinez, Doug Olcese, Eric Rosenberg and Tomao.
- William Paterson plays a single game at Montclair State Friday, April 26, at 3:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: