ASHLAND, Va. - Senior right-hander Nick Roth (Henrico, Va./Benedictine) fanned 11 in eight innings, and sophomore DH Kevin Mooney (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) had two doubles, one run and two RBI as the top-seeded Randolph-Macon baseball team edged fourth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan 4-2 on Thursday afternoon in the first game of the second round of the 2019 ODAC Tournament.
Score: #1 Randolph-Macon 4, #4 Virginia Wesleyan 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 26-8-1, VWU 21-16
How It Happened
- Roth scattered eight hits and allowed two runs. He did not issue a walk for the fourth straight game, a stretch of 31 innings. Roth raised his record to 10-0 and his strikeout total to 98.
- The R-MC defense was strong throughout the game. Roth retired the first eight hitters before it looked like Daniel Petro was going to drop a single into right. Senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) went back to his left and dove to catch the liner to end the top of the third.
- The Marlins had runners on the corners with none away in the top of the fourth. Austin Obenour sent a fly ball into shallow right. The runner from third tried to score, but junior right fielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) threw a strike to the plate, where junior catcher Reese Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) made the tag to complete the double play. Roth recorded a strikeout to end the inning.
- The game remained scoreless into the fifth. In the bottom of the frame, Mooney lined a one-out double down the left field line. With two away, junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) doubled to left to drive in Mooney with the game's first run.
- The Yellow Jackets would add to their lead in the sixth. Butler belted a one-out homer to left, his second of the season, as R-MC doubled its lead at 2-0. With two away, Yeargain had a one-out single and moved to second when Nickles fouled off numerous pitches before drawing a walk. Mooney send a second double down the left field line to send home Yeargain and Nickles to give the Yellow Jackets a 4-0 advantage.
- VWU had a leadoff single in the sixth, but Roth got a strikeout and rolled a double-play ball to end the inning.
- The Marlins scored two in the seventh and threatened again in the eighth. VWU had two in scoring position with one away. Roth notched his 11th strikeout for the second out. Obenour dropped a dribbler in front of the plate. Yeargain made the throw to first to end the rally.
- VWU again put two runners on in the ninth with one away. Senior right-hander Patrick Solomita (Chesterfield, Va./Manchester) struck out the final two batters of the game to register his first save.
By The Numbers
- Mooney went 2 for 3 with one run and two RBI.
- Yeargain was 2 for 4 with one run.
- Randolph-Macon is scheduled to face the winner of the game between #2 Roanoke and #3 Shenandoah, which is being played on Thursday evening, on Friday morning at 11:30 a.m. at Salem Memorial Ballpark.